ONLINE TRANSLATOR TRAINING PROGRAM (OTTP)
About the Program
Language Neutral Translator Training offered in English for all languages.
MCIS Translator Training Program aims to offer equal access to education, in order to help reduce the shortage of trained translators in the multitude of languages spoken in Canada. The program provides linguistically diverse Canadians with the means to develop skills and knowledge to become community translators.
Our Online Translator Training Program covers the fundamentals of translation, translation strategies, translation technology and the best practices used in the industry. It also focuses on translating for community settings, such as translation of official and public-outreach documents of legal and medical nature.
The interactive modules have been built with input by translators with vast experience in their field. The translation exercises provide guided practice needed to develop pace and confidence in translation.
At the end of the program, learners are to take a post-training assessment (PTA). It consists of the translation from and into English that is marked by a professional translator working in the learner’s language combination.
Topics Covered In The Curriculum
Fundamentals of Translation
- Skills and Competences of the Translator
- The Language Services Industry
- The Translator’s Code of Ethics
- The Translation Process
- Key Concepts of Translation
- Translation of Official Documents
- Translation of Public Outreach Materials
- Legal Translation
- Medical Translation
Developing Translation Competence
- Source Text Analysis
- Research and Documentation
- Terminology and Subject Matter Research
- Technical Competence
- Translation and Technology*
- Quality in Translation: Revision, Editing & Proofreading
- Translation from English into Other Language
- Translation into English
*Our curriculum includes a practice of Wordfast translation tools, courtesy of Wordfast LLC and Yves Champollion.
The program is held entirely online and is accessible 24/7. It is a self-paced course that allows you to control your own learning experience.
- Fee: $850 + HST
- Hours: 120
- Enrollment Duration: 120 days
- Credentials Awarded upon Completion: Certificate of Completion* – upon completion of the course requirements and post-training assessment)
*This program does not lead to any professional certification by professional associations such as ATIO.
Applicants Must Have:
- An excellent command of the English language (both writing and reading skills).**
- Good writing skills in working languages.
- Computer literacy (ability to type in English and the other working language(s)).***
- A working laptop with MS Word and Adobe Acrobat Reader (Chromebooks or tablets may not be used).
- Research skills (needed for modules on terminology, reference material and stylistic guides).
- Cultural competence (both cultures of translation).
- Post-secondary (university or college) degree/certificate
- Time commitment – approximately 10-15 hours per week.
**This is mandatory as the course will be delivered in English.
*** Students must already possess basic computer knowledge. This course is not intended to teach basic skills.
Please review our training policies before submitting a training application.
Training inquires: firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Freelancers Recruitment inquiries: email@example.com