ONLINE LANGUAGE INTERPRETER TRAINING (OLIT)
About the Program
Language Neutral Interpreter Training offered in English for all languages
MCIS Language Interpreter Training Program is ideal for candidates fluent in at least two languages and wish to work as community interpreters. This program offers candidates with no formal training in interpretation an opportunity to become professional interpreters and enter the field of community interpreting. The program is available online for candidates with intermediate computer skills.
Our Online Language Interpreter Training Program covers key concepts of language interpretation, as well as terminology, protocols, and procedures in different environments, focusing on healthcare and legal settings.
The interactive modules have been built with input by interpreters with vast experience in their field; the practice exercises are meant to emulate as closely as possible scenarios likely to be encountered in the field.
Topics Covered In The Curriculum
Fundamentals of Interpretation
- Interpreter’s Code of Ethics & Ethical Dilemmas
- Constituent Tasks of Interpreting
- Consecutive Interpretation, Sight Translation and Introduction to Simultaneous Interpretation
- Accuracy, Focus and Assertiveness
- Cultural Awareness and Challenges to Impartiality
- Technology in Interpreting
- Introduction to the Canadian Legal System
- Court Layout, Key Players, Protocols and Etiquette
- Interpreting in Legal Settings: Civil and Criminal Law Courts, Immigrant and Refugee Sector, Domestic Violence
- Civil & Criminal Law
- Introduction to Healthcare Interpretation
- Medical Terminology – Body Systems, Diseases and Procedures
- Interpreting in Different Medical Contexts: Pediatrics, Obstetrics, Oncology, Neurology, Cardiology, Geriatrics, Urology, Palliative Care, Diabetics
- Interpreting in Mental Health Settings
- Public Health Interpreting
- Interpreter’s Self Care and Safety
Get yourself familiarized with the Interpreter’s Code of Ethics:
The program is held entirely online and is accessible 24/7. It is a self-paced course that allows you to control your own learning experience.
- Fee: $850 + HST (not including ILSAT/CILISAT test fee)
- Hours: 120
- Enrollment Duration: 90 days
- Credentials Awarded upon Completion:
- Letter of Attestation – upon completion of the course
- Certificate of Completion – upon completion of the course and passing of ILSAT/CILISAT
Recommended Skills and Competencies
- Full proficiency in English and another language
- Access to computer and internet
- Intermediate computer literacy
- Time commitment – approximately 10-15 hours per week.
Please review our training policies before submitting a training application.
Training inquires: email@example.com
Professional Freelancers Recruitment inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org