Advanced Medical Interpreter Training (AMIT)
About the program
The Advanced Medical Interpreter Training program has been designed for professional interpreters serving clients in the healthcare sector. AMIT was developed to help learners expand their medical terminology base, practice this terminology in context, and understand the Canadian healthcare system.
The program provides ample opportunities to interpret across different healthcare and public health settings. It follows a skills and vocabulary-development approach with asynchronous practice activities on our e-Learning platform.
*Please note that there are two versions of the advanced medical training available, AMIT for Canada-based interpreters and UMIT for US-based interpreters. This is in recognition of the differences in the Code of Ethics and the roles of interpreters in the US and in Canada.
Topics Covered in the Curriculum
- Overview of Healthcare Interpreting
- Medical Terminology
- Interpreting Practice in Different Healthcare Settings
- Interpreters’ Safety and Self-care
- Ethical Dilemmas in Healthcare Settings
The program is held entirely online and is accessible 24/7. It is a self-paced course that allows you to control your own learning experience.
- Fee: $495 + HST
- Hours: 60
- Enrolment Duration: 60 days
- Credentials Awarded upon Completion: A certificate is awarded to candidates who complete all the requirements regarding assignments, attendance, and pass the post-training assessment.
Recommended Skills and Competencies
- At least one of the following:
o Experience in interpreting
o Completion of core interpreter training
o Passing of language assessment test (ILSAT, CILISAT, IRB)
- Familiarity with simultaneous interpreting
- Access to computer and internet
- Intermediate computer literacy
- Time commitment – up to 10 hours per week.
Please review our training policies before submitting a training application.
Training inquires: firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Freelancers Recruitment inquiries: email@example.com