Advanced Court Interpreter Training (ACIT)
About the program
This program is designed to help learners further their understanding of the Canadian legal systems, hone their legal interpreting skills, and expand their terminology base.
ACIT serves as proof of specialized training in legal or court interpretation. It is also a great preparation tool for court interpreter accreditation exams used by courts, Ministries of the Attorney General (MAG) and Ministries of Justice across Canada to screen and select their team of court interpreters. ACIT can help you ace those accreditation exams!
ACIT is led by seasoned, accomplished facilitators who are MAG-accredited court interpreters.
*Disclaimer: Completing ACIT does not guarantee a chance to sit for a court interpreting accreditation exam. Interpreters who wish to pursue court interpreter accreditation must apply directly with their local courts or ministries in charge of accrediting court interpreters.
Please note that not all court assignments require MAG accreditation.
Topics Covered in the Curriculum
- Court Decorum, Etiquette and Key Players
- Sight Translation, Consecutive and Simultaneous Interpretation in Court Settings
- Voir Dire and Mock Trial
- Mock Exam – Preparation for the Court Interpreter Accreditation Exam
The program is a virtual instructor-led course. It runs over the span of one (1) month with two (2) weekly after-hours virtual classes and online self-study activities (see exact dates and availability in the application form).
- Fee: $495 + HST
- Hours: 60
- Enrollment Duration: 60 days
- Credentials Awarded upon Completion: A certificate is awarded to candidates who complete all the requirements regarding assignments, attendance, and pass the post-training assessment.
Recommended Skills and Competencies
- At least one of the following:
o Experience in interpreting
o Completion of core interpreter training
o Passing of language assessment test (ILSAT, CILISAT, IRB)
- Familiarity with simultaneous interpreting
- Access to computer and internet
- Intermediate computer literacy
- Time commitment – up to 10 hours per week.
Please review our training policies before submitting a training application.
Training inquires: firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Freelancers Recruitment inquiries: email@example.com