The language skills assessment will complete your accreditation as a community interpreter, once you have passed the core technical competencies training, either in class or online. The test can also be completed as a standalone component as proof of your language or interpreting skills, as often requested by an employer.
A test can be scheduled with MCIS before, during or after your community interpreter core competencies training session. Results take 3-6 weeks to come back.
You only need to pass one of the available tests to receive accreditation. If you do not pass a test, a different version of the same test, or a different test altogether, can be scheduled immediately by making another payment, depending on availability. If you wish to attempt the same test, you must wait for 3 months. MCIS is an authorized testing centre for ILSAT and CILISAT exams.
- COST OF EXAM: For each language combination the candidate wishes to be tested for, the cost is $195 + HST = $220.35. This also applies to test retakes.
- DURATION: Approximately 1.5 hours
- Do you need help preparing for an interpreter language skills assessment?
- Do you want to find out if you have the skills required to work as an interpreter?
These language-independent workshops are a great way to identify your interpretation strengths and weaknesses. They will also help you identify your level of preparedness for an interpreter language skills assessment. The group session seats 12-16 people, and it includes basic concepts in sight translation and dialogue interpretation, tips on taking the most popular interpreter language skills assessments available in the industry (ILSAT/CILISAT), and personalized feedback on grammar, syntax, vocabulary, and other aspects of the test.
If you wish to book an ILSAT or CILISAT exam, please click here.
- Cost: $40.00 + HST
- Duration: 3 hours
- Format: Online synchronous (via Adobe Connect) or On-Site at MCIS office in Toronto
- Do you need more practice with an experienced interpreter in your working languages?
Mentoring sessions are an excellent opportunity for candidates with basic or intermediate interpreting skills to obtain advice and guidance from an accomplished interpreter in a language of their choice in one-on-one sessions. During a mentoring session, you will have the opportunity to practise technical terminology and setting-specific vocabulary, receive language-specific feedback on the quality of your interpretation, complete mock scenarios, and practice with sample language labs. Mentoring sessions are available in over 100 languages.
- Cost (Online, 1 hour minimum): $50.00 + HST
- Cost (On-Site, 2 hours minimum): $90.00 + HST
- Format: Online or in-person